Blog page content.
Coupling Metrics Toolkit
Simple Weather App
|#||Chapter Title||Book Title||Year|
|1||Convective Initiation in Climate Models using the Heated Condensation Framework||Current trends in the Representation of Physical Processes in Weather and Climate Models||2018|
Building convection from the ground up, CGD Seminar Series, Boulder, Colorado (2017)
Land Cover and Convection, CESM Workshop and Tutorial Specialized Talk, Boulder, Colorado, (2017)
Land surface initialization: Impact on forecasts and current models, CESM Annual Workshop, Boulder, Colorado, (2017)
Dynamic Scale Awareness: Switching parameterized convection on at the right time, American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting, Seattle, Washington, (2017)
When does the land surface matter? Surface-Convection Feedbacks and Models, CGD Seminar Series, Boulder, Colorado, (2016)
Isolating the Impact of Local and Large-Scale Forcings on Surface Triggered Convection, American Meteorological Society, Annual Meeting 2014, Atlanta, Georgia (2014)
Testing land cover change effects on convection in the real world without cutting down a tree, AGU Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, (2017)
LoCo Updates and Perspectives, GLASS Panel Meeting, Tokyo, Japan, (2017)
Convection and Land Cover Change: Interpretation, gaps, and moving forward, Hydrology delivers Earth Sciences to Society 4, Tokyo, Japan, (2017)
Know Your Forcing: Extracting land-atmosphere feedback information from offline simulations, CESM Annual Workshop, Breckenridge, (2016)
Tracking land-atmosphere coupling in CESM, Mini Breckenridge Meeting, Boulder, Colorado (2016)
Observed Local Soil Moisture-Atmosphere Feedbacks within the Context of Remote SST Anomalies: Lessons from recent droughts, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, California (2015)
Land-Atmosphere Feedbacks: A Local Look at How Droughts Deepen, Climate and Global Dynamics Seminar Series, Boulder, Colorado (2015)
Land-Atmosphere feedback lessons learned from seasonal drought, George Mason University Departmental Seminar, Fairfax, Virginia (2015)
Assessment of land-atmosphere coupling in CAM-CLM, CESM Annual Workshop, Breckenridge, Colorado (2015)
A new sub-grid convective initiation scheme, Atmosphere Working Group Meeting, Boulder, Colorado (2015)
Rethinking convective initiation and implications for land-atmosphere feedbacks, North Carolina State University Brown Bag Seminar, Raleigh, North Carolina (2015)
A new sub-grid convective initiation parameterization, American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona (2015)
Soil moisture-convection coupling against the backdrop of global oscillations, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, California (2014)
Daily coupling and predicting convective initiation, World Weather Open Science Conference, Montreal, Canada (2014)
How land-convection interactions produce different diurnal cycles and mean conditions: A coupled problem, Land Model Working Group Meeting 2014, Boulder, Colorado (2014)
Description and practical applications of the Model of Emissions of Gases and Aerosols from Nature (MEGAN), Community Land Model Tutorial Workshop 2014, Boulder, Colorado (2014)
Separating the Impact of Local and Large-scale Forcings on Soil Moisture-Precipitation Coupling, American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting 2013, San Francisco, California (2013)
When is the Land Surface Important for Triggering Convection? George Mason University, Workshop on Land Surface Modeling in Support of NWP and Sub-Seasonal Climate Prediction, Fairfax, Virginia (2013)
Can We Separate Local from Large-scale Forcing for Moist Convection?, UK Met Office, Global Land/Atmosphere System Study, Exeter, United Kingdom (2013)
Evaluation of Land-Atmosphere Coupling Processes in High-Resolution Simulations, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Land Model Working Group Meeting, Boulder, Colorado (2013)
The Intersection between Climate and Ozone Air Quality: Applying a Coupled-System Framework, George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia (2013)
Connecting Clime and Air Quality through Soil Moisture-Atmosphere Feedbacks, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, Illinois (2012)
Cold Season Feedbacks and Insights into Coupling from Near-Surface Ozone Chemistry, Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies, Beltsville, Maryland (2012)
Connecting Clime and Air Quality through Soil Moisture-Atmosphere Interactions, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Palisades, New York June (2012)
The Effects of Soil Moisture-Atmosphere Feedbacks on Ground-Level Ozone, Workshop on Theory and Regional Climate Modeling, Trieste, Italy (2012)
Understanding the Model Ozone Bias over the Southeastern U.S.: The Role of Soil Moisture and Regional Climate, EOS Trans. AGU, Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract, A13K-08, (2011)
A Climate-Air Quality Connection: Soil Moisture Controls on Isoprene and Ozone, Egyptian Meteorological Authority, Cairo, Egypt, (2011)
Regional Climate over Egypt, Chemistry-Climate Feedbacks on Egypt and the Nile River Basin Workshop, Cairo, Egypt, (2011)
A Climate-Air Quality Connection: Soil Moisture Controls on Isoprene and Ozone, Chemistry-Climate Feedbacks on Egypt and the Nile River Basin Workshop, Cairo, Egypt (2011)
Biogenic VOC Emissions and there Effects on Ozone, Chemistry-Climate Feedbacks on Egypt and the Nile River Basin Workshop, Cairo, Egypt, (2011)
Implementation of CLM into RegCM: What’s new and how to use it, Workshop on Theory and Regional Climate Modeling, Trieste, Italy (2010)
From Land Surface to Atmospheric Chemistry: Implementation of CLM and several Gas Phase Chemistry Mechanisms into RegCM, International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Trieste Italy (2009)
Implementation of Biogenic VOC Emissions Model, Chemistry-Climate Feedbacks on Egypt and the Nile River Basin Workshop, Trieste, Italy (2009)
Feb 2018 – Current
Senior Data Scientist
Voith Digital Ventures
I explore and analyze various types of real-time IoT data derived from industrial manufacturing and energy production.
- Created our internal analytics engine from scratch used to produce malfunction reports for hydroelectric power plants.
- Developed several new algorithms taking cutting-edge peer-reviewed papers and turning them into useable code, specifically the thousand brains theory, a Bayesian isolation forests, and an efficient binned Gaussian mixture model
- Served as advanced analytics expert to the North American Sales team separating promising tech from hype.
- Performed anomaly detection and prediction on high-temporal frequency IIoT acoustic and operational data to help inform industrial machine operators when failures may occur and why (root-cause analysis)
- Rapidly prototyped advanced analytics solutions for hydroelectric, locomotive systems, and industrial engines oftentimes creating simple dashboards and tools for non-technical domain experts
Jan 2015 – Feb 2018
National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)
- My work largely focuses on land-atmosphere interactions specifically trying to understand when, where, and how the surface influences moist convection. The goal is then to apply that knowledge to improve the character of the afternoon convection in models and ultimately improve seasonal forecasts and beyond.
- Executed long-term global climate simulations on multi-processor super computing systems, routinely managing and
analyzing 10-50 TB of data.
- Designed and programmed several open-source software packages designed for expediting the use of the most state-of-the-art climate and weather research practices (www.coupling-metrics.com; www.github.com/abtawfik/coupling-metrics; the Local Land-Atmosphere Coupling Data Dashboard, the Single Column Boundary Layer Model).
- Created and implemented a new parameterization in a global climate model to realistically represent unresolved convective physical processes (www.github.com/abtawfik/CESM_1.2.2_Subgrid_Triggering).
- Severed on the United Nations World Meteorological Organization Global Energy and Water Exchange working group for local land-atmosphere coupling to outline strategies for better predicting water resources and the water cycle
Aug 2012 – Jan 2015
George Mason University
- Developed a new framework for exploring and describing cloud initiation that uses existing standard observed data.
- Explored the connection between surface moisture and where and when cumulus clouds form
Atmospheric Science, PhD
University of Michigan
I studied atmospheric science and completed a thesis on the non-linear feedbacks between soil moisture, vegetation, biogenic volatile organic compounds, gas phase chemistry, and precipitation.
Atmospheric Science, Masters
University of Michigan
I got my Master Degree in atmospheric science studying atmospheric chemistry, planetary atmospheres, fluid dynamics, and computational dynamics.
Meteorology, Bachelors of Science
North Carolina State University
I studied Meteorology with a minor in physics that included thermodynamics, atmospheric dynamics, differential equations, and general and special relativity.
Marine Science, Bachelors of Science
North Carolina State University
I studied Marine Science taking classes in chemical and physical oceanography.